Rush celebrated its bicentennial anniversary in 2018. Here is a Printable Year Long Bicentennial Calendar.
The Town of Rush was founded in 1818. Prior to that, it was part of Hartford which is now Avon, NY. The northern portion of Hartford broke away to form the Township of Rush and was officially established as a town by the New York State legislature on March 13, 1818. Monroe County had not yet been formed, so Rush was originally part of Ontario County. In February of 1821, Monroe County was formed and Rush became part of Monroe County.
The origin of the name of the Town is uncertain. Three possible theories have been considered: one, the town was named for the large quantity of rushes growing on the flats and which were used to feed the cattle of the early settlers; two, the town was named for Dr. Benjamin Rush, Surgeon General to the Continental Army during the American Revolution, a member of the first Continental Congress, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence; or three, named for Richard Rush, son of Dr. Benjamin Rush. Richard Rush was an American statesman and diplomat, and served as attorney general in President James Madison’s administration. To date, no documentation has been discovered to clearly identify which of these theories might be the actual namesake but general consensus leans toward the Town being named after Dr. Benjamin Rush.
Contact Info: Susan Bittner Mee, Town of Rush Historian
Rush Town Hall, 5977 East Henrietta Road, Rush, NY
Email: Sue@townofrush.com Telephone: (585) 533-1312
Office Hours: Mondays: 8:30-10:30 am; Thursdays: 5:30-7:30.
It is advisable to contact in advance due to schedule changes and commitments within the community. Also available by appointment at other times.